Friday, September 3, 2010

Heading Home Tomorrow

We're preparing for the logistical challenge of travel tomorrow, hoping that the flight is smooth for Nancy, and that the turbulent vestiges of the hurricane winds don't rock her world.

A couple of days ago I rolled her in the wheelchair a few blocks to get some lunch  and even the pebbled surface of the sidewalk (combined to some degree with the ineptitude of the driver) made the trip very uncomfortable for her. Between the ride to the airport, the lack of any place to lie down for many hours, and the Michigan roads home, I'm just hoping for the best.

When we finally get there, home will be a much better environment for recovery. We have a hospital bed in the family room so Nancy can spend as much of her day on one floor as necessary. Also, sister Patty is coming in for several days, and we'll get to see Sharon, (hopefully) Keiron and the birthday girl Audrey this Sunday. Calls from Mike and Deborah have a great effect as well.

The pain seems to be somewhat less intolerable and unmanageable for most of the four-hour duration of the pills, and the worst part of the interval appears to be getting shorter and less intense. Easy for me to say, I know...

I'm glad to be getting home to some kind of routine, and grateful Nancy feels up to the trip earlier than expected. This hotel room is very nice, but I am going nuts here. I fondly recall living in a 16 foot camping trailer for a few idyllic months when we were 19 years old and I was finishing my freshman year at Sonoma State. I know I can't possibly have over-romanticized those days...I guess I have developed late onset claustrophobia or something.

1 comment:

  1. What great news that you are now on your way home. I have high hopes for a smooth trip. You are coming back to some beautiful fall weather. If there's anything I can do in the coming weeks, bring some lunch and/ or just visit, please just ask. Looking forward to seeing you soon! Kathy

    ReplyDelete