Monday, August 23, 2010

In order not to be the object of one of my favorite jokes....

A cruel but amusing joke from my cruel but amusing High School years -
Q: "How do you keep an idiot in suspense?
A:   "....................................................................................................." 

I just tracked Nurse Mike down, and he was very apologetic for making me start to freak out. He had to relieve another person on another operation, yadda yadda. Those of you that know me well probably wonder why I waited so long..

Q: How's she doing in there?
A: It's going very well. This procedure is complicated and delicate and it is roughly half completed - in other words, five or more hours to go.

They are doing the osteotomy  - in this case they are either creating relief in the part of the vertebra constricting her spinal cord in her lower fusion or they are removing pieces of bone at the apexes of the curves to allow them to place and fuse the spine in a straighter position.

I cannot imagine the amount of skill required to do this - As I walk the halls and see these young people training to be doctors and nurses and technicians, I am very appreciative of their willingness to apply their intellect and industry to helping change peoples' lives. It's hard work that takes a long time to pay off, so there has to be a lot of idealism fueling their endeavors... I like that. God bless 'em. Especially the ones working on Nancy.

Mike's shift is over - he'll hand over the communication to his relief who is supposed to get with me around 4:00 (Central)   If I don't hear from anyone by 4:30, I'll call again.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going well so far. My thoughts are with you both. -Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good! I can't wait until the next update! Give her a kiss for me, not a hug yet, that might HURT!!!! xoxoxo Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am watching your updates closely. I am so glad Nancy is doing well. The skills of these medical doctors is fascinating. She has the best with her. You are doing great and keeping an entertaining blog at the same time. Duane said he had that waiting game too, just not as long. He laughed out loud when I shared about going to the restroom ahead of the next nurse call. He appreciated that! We'll wait for more good news.

    ReplyDelete