Tuesday, August 31, 2010

HI FROM NANC!

 Hey Everybody - look at me typing on the computer!
I want to thank you all so much for the prayers and messages of love and support - It has helped a lot!
 So we did get discharged yesterday, and now we're holed up here in our hotel room.  Yesterday was really busy - I had to have each department clear me for release.  If I had not met their standards, they would have sent me to an inpatient rehab facility . Stuff like walking up some stairs, being able to dress myself, etc.  I love being in the hotel - it's so quiet and comfy.
So how am I doing??  According to the pain-o-meter, it fluctuates from like an 8 to a 2, and those numbers correlate directly w/ where I am on the pain medicine schedule, which is 24/7.  The last hour before the meds is kinda long... I mean we are barking with the big dogs now.
I had a wonderful experience today - I got my hair washed!  I went a whole week without washing my hair and it will be another week before I'm able to shower... AND I can't bend over to wash my hair in the sink... But I was allowed to sit back in a salon chair in the hospital salon.  AND I put my contacts in for the first time since surgery.  Feels good!
We're in St Louis a little longer so I can get stronger before we head for home.  I follow a scoliosis forum online, and it sounds like everyone has a real turning point around the two week mark.
Just feeling well enough to eat and read is huge!
So I have a link to an animated video of how they do that surgery - it's not gross at all...

Here's  link to an animation of the procedure. Might want to turn the music down..


 LOVE YA,
Nanc

3 comments:

  1. Nanc, my dad wonders how you get from lying down to sitting up w/o being able to bend your back??? I said that I was sure either PT or OT would teach you a new method??? Happy Hotel stay, xoxoxo Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi back at ya. Now it's like being on vacation. Hang around in the hotel room watching TV and reading. What a life. We are so glad to hear that things are progressing nicely for you. Hope you have lots of days at 2 or less. Soft hugs from Jan and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys. I don't know if you got my comment yesterday. I think I may have screwed it up. I'm new at this technology stuff, ya know! So I'm gonna repeat: Nancy, I understand you and I are charter members of the "Relegation of Natalie Merchant to Oblivion" movement. and, Dave, What's wrong with Paul Revere & the Raiders? Seriously, I'm really glad to hear that all has gone as well as it seems to have. I've been reading your blog every day, and I'll be glad to see you when you get back. Tom P.S.: I haven't washed my hair in six weeks. What's the big deal? Just kidding!!

    ReplyDelete