Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Getting ready to go..

In a couple of weeks, Nancy and I will be married 38 years, exactly 2/3rds of our lives, and while there is nothing in all that time that remotely compares with this 'adventure,' I am confident that the strength we derive from our life together will enable us to get through this with some measure of grace. More her than me, probably. 

In some aspects this is analogous to a trip we made to go whitewater rafting on the Cheat River in West Virginia, where we repeatedly found ourselves swept into tumultuous, scary, loud, and uncontrollable places in which the outcome of our 'three hour tour' was by no means guaranteed.

As then, the odds are overwhelmingly on our side, the prognosis is good and all possible preparations have been made. We just have to throw any illusion of control overboard, hang on to each other, trust in God and the experts and endure this damned thing.

We made it through the rafting, obviously, but you'll note that I haven't made the least effort to repeat the experience. I am, however, making a supreme effort to conceal the fact that I am shitting bricks at such a prodigious rate that my ancestors in the Pyramid-Building Union would probably have 'strongly encouraged' me to stop making everyone else look bad.

I calm myself with the following factual litany:

  • Nancy proactively sought help before she became too weakened by this condition. She is knowledgeable, fully prepared, in excellent health and has worked hard to optimize her physical and attitudinal fitness.
  • This particular doctor (check out his link in Nancy's post) is the undisputed heavyweight champion of scoliosis treatment, and has led the way in the recent development of  the tools, techniques and actual implements used to achieve positive, life changing outcomes . 
  • He personally does this surgery only 30 times a year, taking on challenging cases that will have maximum impact and the greatest degree of dramatic success.
  • We've had a year to try to prepare for the surgery and the recovery, and have covered all foreseeable bases to try to ensure a smooth recovery. 
  • I have great backup at work, and an experienced, stable, and productive staff. Business is going relatively well, and technology allows me to link in to my office and keep tabs on customers, vendors, volume and cash flow, so I can distract myself a bit by being useful.
  • The tens of thousands of dollars I've spent each year on insurance are paying off big time. 
  • We are blessed and fortunate to have the support of loving family and friends.  

So thank you all for your concern and prayers, we'll take them all gratefully.

I'll keep you as updated as possible, and hope the news is uniformly encouraging and uplifting.
(So say we all.)

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment