Thursday, October 14, 2010

Closer to Normal!

Hi Friends,
As always, I am grateful for your concern and for your prayers and good thoughts! 
I've been getting out and about a lot more in the last couple of weeks.  My biggest outing was on Tuesday - It was Sharon's birthday, so we went for pedicures at the spa (good for me since I can't reach my toes yet!), then we met Keiron, Audrey and Dave for birthday dinner... a double celebration since Keiron's birthday is the day after Sharon's!  I really expected to feel the effects the next day of being out and upright for so long, but I had a lot of energy yesterday - I think TODAY is the day I'm feeling it!  Well worth it though, and I love being able to drive around a little each day, even to the post office or the drug store.  Still resting frequently, lying on the couch mostly, making my way through the entire West Wing series.  I am SO addicted!
Since there's not much to report (that's a really good thing), maybe I should think of some FAQs that I usually hear.
Q: Like - Are you in pain? 
Not exactly... it's more like an all over achy feeling.  And this is a signal that I've been overdoing it.  Except for the fact that I am AWARE of the instrumentation in my back, I don't really experience what I call "owwy" pain.  But I do always need a pillow behind me when I'm sitting, driving, etc.
Q:  Will you ever need more surgery?  
No, this should be IT.  What's there is permanent, and should never need adjusting or replacing.   In fact, once the spine has been fused (takes 6 mo to a  year), theoretically, the rods could be taken out (!)
But there would never be a reason to do such a thing.
Q:  Are you doing any painting?
Not on my radar at this point!  Really, tackling the most basic tasks of life are plenty challenging for now.  When I do get back to painting, I will have a hard time bending over, so I'm thinking that I'll want to work on pastels, which I can do upright on an easel.
Q:  How are the kids?  Here's a quick update on everybody!  Mike and Kaori are living in Japan - he is teaching English in the public schools.  The schools there hire native English speakers to be part of their English departments.  Kaori is working her way through a graduate program to get teacher certification in English, and also working part time tutoring kids in English and math. 
Sharon and Keiron have a new house in Ann Arbor, and are wonderful parents to baby Audrey.  She is walking and "talking", and makes lots of friends by waving enthusiastically to everyone.  Keiron is a captain for Delta, and is based out of Detroit.  Sharon is super busy being a mom, and I am super lucky to see them as much as I want to!
Deborah lives outside of Denver w/ her fiance, Dustin.  They will tie the knot in CO in August!  She has gone back to school to become a music teacher - has her BA in English, but needs of music theory and education classes.  Dustin works as an environmental consultant (correct me if I'm wrong, Dustin!) for a company that  helps industrial companies comply w/ regulations.  They test emissions, file the gov. paper work, etc.  D and D love Colorado!
So, yeah, I have to get fit enough to do some traveling to Colorado and JAPAN!
Thanks for checking in on me.  Except for the fact that I don't do a heck of a lot, I'm feeling good, and am in good spirits.
Enjoy the beautiful fall weather, the other shoe is about to drop any minute now!!
LOVE
NANC

No comments:

Post a Comment